david and i have had a good food weekend. a long weekend actually – it started with forza win, a pizza pop-up in bethnal green which saw us sitting on a rooftop (until rain stopped play and we fled indoors) with a southern italian menu of penne ragu (the secret to their ragu is chuck steak, pork belly, toasted fennel seeds, san marzano tomatoes and five hours slow cooking), an eight pizza tasting menu (favourites for me included walnut and pancetta, courgette and parmesan and the classic margherita) followed by ice cream from gelupo – coffee, ricotta and honey was our lucky choice. followed by live music from orlando seale and the swell.
this was followed by saturday spent at fifteen street’s british street food awards festival. sadly we weren’t able to indulge in ginstock as well but working our way through the food stalls was more than enough to deal with.
lots of pictures follow. we ate lots:
- spicy paneer wrap from manjit’s kitchen, leeds (this was my people’s choice winner)
- suffolk cod in adnam’s ginger beer batter with chips, creamed, mashed and minted peas and homemade jalapeno tartare from the fish hut, suffolk
- pulled and devilled chicken in a (half, to save tummy space!) baguette from what the dickens, london
- london’s yum bun’s steamed pork bun (with spring onions and hoisin sauce – this was the one we preferred) and japanese breaded chicken bun (too much mayo in this for us)
- london’s well kneaded wagon’s beetroot, cherry tomato, garlic, chilli and fresh pesto pizza
- smoked crispy chicken slider with coleslaw, bacon, baby gem, pickled onion and brioche from street kitchen, london
- wonderful damson and cobnut jersey custard crumble ice cream followed by candied quince, citrus, sour cherry and almond ice cream, both from london’s sorbitium ices (this was david’s people’s choice winner)
- ginger’s comfort emporium in manchester served up "chorlton crack" – aka salted caramel and peanut butter ice cream
it was all very delicious and in many ways i don’t care who wins as they were all excellent.
yum buns - this was our least favourite - the dough is so sticky you have to scrape it off your teeth with each bite!
mussel men - this was my favourite design of stall, sadly i didn't get to try their food.
beetroot pizza - the beetroot and fresh pesto combination was brilliant
bunting on fifteen street