observer food monthly 20 best recipes
i’m a sucker for lists of “top recipes” and enjoy working my way through them to try things i might not normally bother with, as well as see how much someone else’s top 10 aligns with my tastes.
in summer 2011 i did the moro top ten (9 out of 10 were winners) and earlier that year i worked my way through nigel slater’s top 10 (5 of which were winners for me). last weekend the observer published a top 20, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of its observer food monthly awards, so i shall work my way through this list and let you know what i think.
the full list is below – most of these are new to me, apart from nigel slater’s roast tomatoes with thyme and crumbs, so if you’ve tried any, please let me know what you think, including details of any recommended twists or tweaks.
- oreccheitte with turnip tops and chilli – georgio locatelli
- courgette, feta, pea and mint flatbreads – leon
- beet bourgignon – green kitchen
- roast tomatoes with crumbs & thyme – nigel slater
- broad bean, mint and ricotta bruschetta – polpo
- sea bream in fish fragrant sauce – fuschia dunlop
- halibut with chestnuts – jason atherton
- spaghetti alle vongole – angela hartnett
- turbot with mustard – pierre koffmann
- coley burger – nathan outlaw
- almond lamb curry – atul kochar
- chicken with potatoes – jill dupleix
- bacon and egg pie – margot henderson
- stir-fried minced beef with chillies and holy basil – david thompson
- chicken with morels and sherry – raymond blanc
- mascarpone rice with blueberries – nigel slater
- lemon sorbet with fruit salad – angela hartnett
- tarta de santiago – claudia roden
- istanbul orange and vanilla baklava – slivena rowe
- snow-flecked chocolate brownies – nigella lawson